08 September 2019 15:26

A41 M25 London

The parents of a cyclist who was killed as he rode home at night on a main road near Bournemouth have urged that it be made safer for bike riders – an appeal echoed at an inquest into his death by a police inspector and the driver of the van involved in the fatal collision. Christopher Gibbs, aged 30, was killed instantly when he was struck by a van driven by Kevin Johnson on the A338 at 10.40pm on 3 October 2017, reports the Bournemouth Echo. Johnson was last year sentenced to a 12-month community order after pleading guilty to causing death by careless driving.> Community order for careless driver who drove on to make a delivery following fatal collision At an inquest into his death last Friday, Mr Gibbs' mother, Deborah Turner, told Assistant Dorset Coroner Richard Middleton: "I would like all vulnerable road users to be kept safe, and if that means a cycle lane on the Wessex Way, then there should be a cycle lane. She told the court that previously she had pleaded with her son not to ride his bike on the road because "I didn't want him exposed to 60 or 70mph traffic. "I didn't want him, as a vulnerable road user, there.

Dorset Police established through GPS data that Johnson had stopped at the scene and had been driving below the speed limit at the time of the collision. However, the impact had thrown Mr Gibbs' body 130 feet and the driver thought he had hit a deer. He told the inquest: "I'd just like to apologise to the family. "I've been driving for 40 years and never had an accident in my life. If I thought I had hit a person I would have stopped and reported it straight away." He added: "I'd like to see a cycle lane put in, and the lighting could be better on the road.

Inspector Joe Pardey told the coroner: "There is clear evidence he stopped his vehicle," but added that 16 other drivers had given statements saying they had seen the rider, and all but one confirming they had noticed his rear light. Asked whether there should be a cycle lane on the road, he said: "It is a major route into one of our biggest towns and cyclists should be afforded protection. A cycle lane would be great because it gives protection to cyclists." Police have named the tragic cyclist killed on Duncombe Street in Grimsby. Jason Brown, 43, of Grimsby, was riding a bicycle on Duncombe Street when he was in collision with a red Peugeot 2008 GT. Mr Brown was taken to Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital, Grimsby but was pronounced dead a short time later.

free battle

Collision investigators closed the road for several hours to establish the cause of the fatal crash. A post-mortem examination was undertaken by a pathologist yesterday and Grimsby and North Lincolnshire senior coroner designate, Mark Kendall is due to open an inquest this week. A Humberside Police spokesman said: "Jason's family are being supported by specially trained officers and have requested that they are left to grieve in peace. "We were called by ambulance crews on Sunday March 24 shortly before 10.05am following the collision between a bike and a red Peugeot 2008 GT. If you have information that could assist us with our collision investigations, please call our non-emergency 101 line quoting log number 177 of March 24." Follow or contact Grimsby Live Follow Grimsby Live on Facebook - Like our Facebook page to get the latest news in your feed and join in the lively discussions in the comments. Follow us on Twitter - For breaking news and the latest stories, click here to follow Grimsby Live on Twitter. Follow us on Instagram - On the Grimsby Live Instagram page we like to feature great pictures from our area - and if you tag us in your posts, we could repost your picture on our page! Click here to follow Grimsby Live on Instagram. Cyclist Stefan Loos was killed in a car-bike crash during a race on Sunday, the second young pro killed while riding in a week. Loos was among a group of racers that went the wrong way during the Alfred Gadenne Grand Prix in Belgium. A van driver struck Loos, 19, at an unprotected intersection. A young cyclist was killed on Sunday after he mistakenly went off course during a road race in Belgium. Stef Loos, 19, was among a group of about 30 riders in the Alfred Gadenne Grand Prix that made a wrong turn about 25K (15.5 miles) into the race. About a mile after that, at an unprotected intersection off course, a van delivery driver struck three riders from the group, including Loos. While the two other riders had serious injuries—one needed surgery for several fractures in his thigh and collarbone—Loos suffered brain and internal organ damage and was taken to a local hospital, where he later died. "Very tragic news," Jef Roberts, chairman of Loos's Acrog-Pauwels Sauzen-Balen team, told reporters. Remco Evenepoel, a fellow Belgian with the Deceuninck–Quick-Step team, said, "Rest in peace, my friend. The cycling community in Belgium suffered a devastating loss with the passing of Stef Loos. The thoughts of everyone at Belgian Cycling are with his family, friends and team-mates at this sad time. pic.twitter.com/1E6GO0SX20 — Belgian Cycling (@BELCycling) March 18, 2019 It's not entirely clear what sent the riders off course. Roberts initially told the press that a race official had sent the group in the wrong direction, having them ride straight instead of turn right as they were supposed to do. However, Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws quoted race director Gérard Verbrugghe saying that no official had been stationed at the junction where the mix-up occurred. Jonas Bresseleers, Loos's teammate who was also struck in the crash, reportedly told Belgian radio that he couldn't remember if he saw a race official or not. The other crash victim, U23 Lotto Soudal rider Ruben Apers, required surgery for his fractures, but his team confirmed that he was in stable condition. Investigators are now looking into the circumstances of the crash and whether a marshal was, or should have been, placed at the intersection, Het Laatste Nieuws reported. This is the second time within a week that a promising young cyclist was killed on a road race course. Tate Meintjes, also 19, was killed on March 12 when a driver cut him off during a pre-ride of the Redlands Bicycle Classic in California.