12 July 2020 16:31
According to reports in Germany, Hector Bellerin wants to leave Arsenal this summer amid reported interest in his services from several clubs in Europe. The report comes from Sky Deutschland, who are discussing Bayern Munich's apparent interest in the player. The Bavarians have too many concerns regarding Bellerin's injury record and defensive capabilities. However, Sky claim they have spoken to the Arsenal star and suggest he 'wants to change clubs' claiming Bellerin is 'not satisfied' at The Emirates. It seems an odd reveal, considering Bellerin is one of the club's longest-serving players and has always appeared keen to get back to his best in North London.
There is plenty of transfer chatter surrounding the 25-year-old, especially since the long-term recruitment of Cedric Soares from Southampton. The Sunday Mirror reported last week (05/07/20; pg69) that Paris Saint-Germain are keen on Bellerin as a Thomas Meunier replacement. Back in April, MARCA reported that Sevilla are keen on bringing the player back to Spain and a host of Italian clubs have also been credited with an interest. According to The Mirror, Inter Milan are one of those teams, despite recently signing Achraf Hakimi from Real Madrid, with the report also claiming Arsenal value Bellerin at £27 million. Arsenal will no doubt need to bring some money in to improve their squad this summer, with Thomas Partey remaining the clear number one target.
The player is struggling with lack of form as he has made only 20 appearances in all competitions this season. In addition to this, the defender has struggled with multiple injuries since the end of 2018. Due to the aforementioned reasons, and with Bellerin managing to win only 41 percent of his duels, Bayern have decided not to make an approach for him. Sky categorically claim they spoke to Bellerín, and suggest Mikel Arteta's man 'wants to change' clubs this summer because he's 'not satisfied' with the north London side. However, the Allianz Arena is unlikely to be his next destination, and as per the report, there hasn't been any sort of contact between Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidžić and Bellerin's agent.
Bellerin has been restricted to just 14 Premier League appearances this season, largely due to injury, and according to Sky Deutschland, the full-back is keen to move on this summer. The report claims that the former Barcelona youngster 'wants to change' teams ahead of next season as he is 'not satisfied' at the Emirates Stadium. Bellerin has contributed one goal and two assists in 22 appearances for Mikel Arteta's side this term. Stan Collymore has told the Sunday People (12/7; page 61) that he believes that Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi has the potential to play for Liverpool or Manchester City. Guendouzi's future with the Gunners appears to have a large question mark hanging over it. ESPN reports that he is currently training alone following an incident in the defeat at Brighton last month. And while the report claims that he and Arsenal want him to stay, a summer move cannot be ruled out at this stage. The idea of selling Guendouzi will surely leave many Arsenal fans feeling conflicted. He is clearly a bright talent with a lot of potential, but plenty of supporters will surely back the manager if he is willing to let him go. Collymore however, clearly feels that it would be a mistake to move Guendouzi on as he suggested that the 21-year-old is capable of making the grade for either of the Premier League's top two. "Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp might feel he's not good enough for Manchester City or Liverpool, but I'd be inclined to disagree, because being around good players he could thrive," he told the Sunday People (12/7; page 61). But he could play for either club, the talent is that obvious." TBR View: Brave decision from Arteta If Arsenal do decide to let Guendouzi go, it will arguably be a brave move from Arteta. On his day, he is a fantastic player and he should get a lot better in the coming years. But Arteta may decide that it is more important that he has a squad around him willing to completely buy into what he is trying to do. And despite Guendouzi's talent, Arteta may feel that Arsenal may end up in a better position after he has gone. Mikel Arteta wants a new defence, N'Golo Kante may be sold, the walls close in on Quique Setien and Chelsea find a new goalkeeper. Arteta hints at defensive transfers Mikel Arteta has hinted that one of his next moves at Arsenal could be to bring in new defensive signings. The Mirror reports that as well as banishing players like Mesut Ozil and Matteo Guendouzi, he may be looking for better options in central defence than Shkodran Mustafi and David Luiz. Paper Round's view: There is no doubt that Guendouzi and Ozil have not convinced Arteta that they have the right mindset to succeed at the club, but while Luiz and Mustafi might be more professional they are not the steely pairing that a defence can be built upon. If all four are moved on in the next transfer window then they might raise enough money to buy one solid player for the back four. Play Icon WATCH Surprise Prem team rival Manchester United for Federico Chiesa - Euro Papers 00:01:10 Kante may be sold for Havertz move N'Golo Kante could be sold to Real Madrid, with the player linked with a £70 million move. Zinedine Zidane is keen on his countryman and the sale could go through as Chelsea attempt to raise cash for Kai Havertz. Bayer Leverkusen want £90 million for the 21-year-old German and Chelsea have spent around that to sign Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech. Paper Round's view: Kante is 29, so unless he is going to be one of the best midfielders in the world for years to come, now would not be the worst time to cash in from Chelsea's point of view. Kante is brilliantly intelligent in his position but it is also a physically demanding one, so there is no guarantee that his body will be able to continue at this level for much longer. Barcelona candidate speaks out against Setien There's more bad news for Barcelona boss Quique Setien. The Spaniard looks set for an exit at the club before next season starts, with barely concealed rebellion due to his presence. Paper Round's view: It seems almost inevitable that Xavi will take over within a year, and possibly imminently, so Setien's time appears to be at an end. The best he can do is make the most of his squad and perhaps win the league - the result on Saturday night means that they are only a Real Madrid slip-up away from unexpected glory. Chelsea line up Kepa replacement The Express reports that Chelsea may have lined up a replacement for their out-of-form goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga. The Spanish goalkeeper has been in and out of the side under Frank Lampard and reports from Turkey suggest Trabzonspor's Ugurcan Cakir will make a move, with the 24-year-old to cost around £29.5 million. Paper Round's view: Kepa's time at Chelsea seems to have come to an end, which is a shame for both club and player because his first season showed just how talented he is. A move back to Spain might be the chance he needs to rediscover his best form, and it would be no surprise to see him back at a big club on the European stage in a year or two. Premier League Form not a factor in derby, says Arsenal's Mikel Arteta ahead of Spurs derby 10/07/2020 AT 10:29