loading...

06 August 2019 23:50

Boardmasters music festival has been cancelled due to warnings of severe weather conditions, organisers said.

met office

Sylt in Germany The North Sea is rough and unpredictable. That applies to the weather and the waves. Nevertheless, the island of Sylt is considered the birthplace of German surfing culture. If you want to surf here, the best thing to do is follow the locals. The surfing season starts at the beginning of May and lasts until the end of October.

fistral beach

Get the biggest Daily stories by email Subscribe Thank you for subscribing See our privacy notice Could not subscribe, try again later Invalid Email The official Boardmasters website is reportedly not working for many users after the announcement that the festival has been cancelled. Organisers of the festival posted a statement on social media at around 11pm this evening, explaining the festival would not be going ahead due to severe weather conditions forecast. Thousands of people have expressed their disappointment on social media. There are many other users speculating if the cancellation is a hoax, but a spokesperson for Boardmasters has confirmed the statement to Cornwall Live this evening. Finn Pike tweeted: "If the cancellation is real, why haven't you informed and dealt with this situation better.

cornwall

All you had to do was inform people by email a day or 2 before, not the night before. As well don't release on social media, inform on your own website!" When trying to load the Boardmasters website, an error message is displayed and reads "500 Origin Error, the origin server is not reachable or returns an error". One user tweeted the official Boardmasters account "can the website be updated for authenticity please??". Boardmasters responded: "Our website will be updated accordingly. We apologise for any disruption and disappointment." Boardmasters reason for cancelling the festival states due to "severe weather conditions, specifically high winds".

Earlier today, the Met Office issued a yellow weather warning for rain on Friday. The warning is in place for the entire day, with a band of heavy rain followed by heavy showers or thunderstorms having the potential to bring disruption. On Saturday, there's also a yellow warning for wind. Strong winds are expected to cause some disruption, particularly during Saturday daytime. The rain is likely to be at its worst at around 1pm when the chance of rain is at 60 per cent. The rest of the day it lessens to 30-40 per cent for the Newquay area. The statement in full reads: "Due to forecasted severe weather conditions, specifically high winds, Boardmasters 2019 has been cancelled. "Following full consultation with all of the relevant authorities including independent safety advisors, Devon and Cornwall Police, emergency services and the Met Office, a final decision was made this evening. "The safety of you, the fans and attendees, as well as performers and crew comes first, and the potential risk is too severe for the event to go ahead at this time. "Refund advice will be shared as soon as possible - please follow Boardmasters' social media for official updates. "We sincerely regret the disappointment to fans, and apologise for any disruption caused to local businesses, performers and crew who were looking forward to Boardmasters as much as we were." Live updates can be found in our dedicated live blog, here. Boardmasters music festival has been cancelled due to warnings of severe weather conditions, organisers said. The three-day event, due to be headlined by the Wu-Tang Clan, Florence And The Machine and Foals, was to take place in Cornwall this weekend. However, organisers pulled the plug after the Met Office warned of wild weather, including heavy rain and high winds. In a statement, the festival said the decision to cancel was made after speaking with police and independent safety advisers. The statement said: "The safety of you, the fans and attendees, as well as performers and crew comes first, and the potential risk is too severe for the event to go ahead at this time." Refund information will be shared "as soon as possible", organisers said. They added: "We sincerely regret the disappointment to fans, and apologise for any disruption caused to local businesses, performers and crew who were looking forward to Boardmasters as much as we were." Boardmasters, a live music and surfing festival, usually takes place every year in and around the town of Newquay. It can trace its heritage back to 1981. Other acts who had been set to perform this weekend included Razorlight, Dizzee Rascal and Jorja Smith.