27 December 2020 02:31
Canelo Alvarez is ready for his next challenge. The unified super middleweight champion is expected to take on Avni Yildirim--the WBC mandatory challenger--on Feb. 27 from Guadalajara, Mexico, Canelo's trainer and manager, Eddy Reynoso, told Boxing Scene. Alvarez claimed the WBA and vacant WBC super middleweight titles on Dec. 19 with a decision win over Callum Smith in Texas. The pound-for-pound great had been out of action for nearly a year due to the pandemic as well as contractual disputes with Golden Boy Promotions and streaming partner DAZN. Alvarez reached a deal with both in the fall to become a free agent and open up the possibility of fighting whomever he wants.
Can't get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news. Yildirim, the 29-year-old from Turkey, has only lost twice as a pro. That includes his most recent bout against Anthony Dirrell in February 2019 when an accident headbutt in the 10th round ended the fight and sent it to the judges' scorecards.
Yilidirim lost on points. His only other loss came in his only other bout against higher-level competition when he was knocked out by Chris Eubank Jr. in 2017. Reynoso said the fight will take place in Guadalajara, Mexico, which is where Canelo was born. It would be Alvarez's first fight in Mexico since 2011. A fifth of rail services could be cut next year because Ministers are struggling to control a ballooning multi-billion-pound taxpayer bill. It is one of the measures under serious consideration following Treasury pressure to reduce the strain on the public purse from propping up the country's rail network. Whitehall officials are looking at plans that could see rail capacity slashed to around 80 per cent of pre-pandemic service levels Chancellor Rishi Sunak is reported to have approved a modest £2.1 billion to ensure services keep running during the next financial year, constituting less than a quarter of the £9 billion estimated bill for the year to March 2021. Experts have already warned that the financial challenges of coronavirus, compounded by a highly infectious new strain of the virus, are likely to result in a delayed recovery in rail passenger numbers. Ministers warned last week that Tier 4 restrictions may be necessary for a couple of months, amid speculation some badly hit regions could be in lockdown until Easter. It is understood any cuts would come in the next timetable change due in May.