loading...

21 July 2020 12:41

Bournemouth Beach hut Bournemouth fire

A dramatic fire that spread across cliffs at Bournemouth beach after a hut was engulfed by flames was caused by a cooking accident, according to the fire service. The fire, on West Undercliff, affected three beach huts and spread over around 100 meters of heath on the cliff face on Monday afternoon (July 20). Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was called at 3.51pm and it took multiple crews and a helicopter to bring the blaze under control. Videos and pictures posted on social media showed fire burning up the cliff face, with plumes of black smoke visible from a distance. A HUGE fire which caused Bournemouth beach to be evacuated started after a mum boiled a kettle to treat a suspected weever fish sting.

19 Gavin and Fiona Tew, owners of Bournemouth beach hut which burned down Credit: Facebook 19 The huge fire started in the amily's beach hut yesterday afternoon Credit: Facebook 19 Gavin, left, calls the hut his "happy" place and often runs exercise classes on Bournemouth beach. 19 One burnt out beach hut could be seen at the scene afterwards Credit: Bournemouth News The mum-of-two put the kettle on using their gas stove and left Jamie, 14, in the beach hut to get some more water to pour over her nephew's skin. But as she returned Fiona saw huge clouds of smoke coming from the wooden cabin and Jamie outside shouting "the hut is on fire". Panicked sunseekers were evacuated from the beach after the huge blaze engulfed a heath-covered cliff face as hundreds of stunned sunbathers were told to leave the shoreline. A team of 40 firefighters then battled to control the flames which burnt down three beach huts on the promenade and covered 100 square metres of cliff face.

Huge plumes of black smoke billowed across the beach as horrified beach-goers watched on as firefighters climbed up the cliff with hoses. Fiona and her husband Gavin, of Bournemouth, Dorset, have owned the beach hut for five years. Gavin, a fitness instructor, calls the hut his "happy" place and often runs exercise classes on Bournemouth beach. Jamie's gran Marilyn Tew, 74, told The Sun: "Fiona and Lainey were at the beach hut for the day with the five children when Jamie suddenly got stung by a weever fish. "Fiona put the kettle on and went off to get some more water and on the way back she saw huge plumes of smoke coming from the hut.

19 The devastating fire destroyed three beach huts on the promenade Credit: Hyde News & Pictures Ltd 19 A team of 40 firefighters battled to control the flames which burnt down three beach huts Credit: Hyde News & Pictures Ltd 19 Multiple crews from Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene Credit: Hyde News & Pictures Ltd 19 Huge plumes of black smoke billowed across the beach Credit: Hyde News & Pictures Ltd 19 The huge blaze engulfed a heath-covered cliff face as hundreds of sunbathers were evacuated from the sands Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "We currently dealing with a fire on West Undercliff in Bournemouth, affecting three beach huts and approximately 100 sqm of heath on the cliff face. Sunbathers fled the scene following a huge blaze near Bournemouth beach 8 fire crews were called to tackle a major fire involving three beach huts in Bournemouth yesterday afternoon. A spokesman for Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue service said the fire was started accidentally due to cooking in a beach hut. A huge fire which caused Bournemouth beach to be evacuated started after a mother boiled a kettle to treat a suspected weever fish sting, MailOnline can reveal. Revealing how the fire started, Fiona's mother-in-law Marilyn Tew told MailOnline: 'Inside the beach hut there is a small gas stove.

Fiona Tew (pictured with her husband Gavin) was at the beach hut with her sister-in-law Lainey Norman, 39, and five children when her nephew rushed in saying he had been stung by a fish The fire quickly spread from the burning beach huts and has blazed a path of destruction up 100sqm of heath where photos show it is perilously close to the cliff-top hotel and other homes In the video taken close to the evacuated Highcliff Marriott hotel, a car hastily reverses away from the roadside where thick smoke and huge flames were thrown up by the sea breeze on Monday afternoon Gavin (pictured with Fiona) is at the beach this morning picking through the charred timber remains of what is left of their family beach hut Marilyn, from Bournemouth, Dorset, said Fiona's husband Gavin, a personal trainer who keeps weights in the hut and runs fitness classes on the beach, missed the family day out to play golf. Gavin is at the beach this morning picking through the charred timber remains of what is left of their family beach hut, she said. The grandmother-of-five said the family, who were on the sand when it happened, could only watch in horror as the flames took hold and leapt up the tinder dry gorse bank. In the video taken close to the evacuated Highcliff Marriott hotel, a car could be seen hastily reversing away from the roadside where thick smoke and huge flames were thrown up by the sea breeze on Monday afternoon. Firefighters are battling a huge blaze on Bournemouth beach after three beach huts went up in flames The blaze on the cliff was eventually brought under control and South Western Ambulance Service said there were no reports of any injuries. Mr Hughes, 22, from Bournemouth, said: 'I was about 60ft from it when the fire first started - just inside one beach hut. Other beach huts were destroyed and badly damaged by the fire which raged up the gorse-covered cliff face on Monday afternoon The blaze on the cliff has now been brought under control and South Western Ambulance Service said there were no reports of any injuries.