loading...

05 January 2020 18:33

Bushfires in Australia New South Wales Ricin

Police in hazmat suits had sealed off Manchester street for fear about deadly toxin A man is recovering in hospital after consuming castor beans, which contain traces of the deadly toxin ricin. Officers wearing protective clothing sealed off a street in Manchester on Saturday morning, but Greater Manchester police said on Sunday that the investigation into the incident had ended and there were no longer concerns about the health of the man, who is in his 20s. Medics called police to an address in Wythenshawe at about 9am after reports that the man had consumed an unknown substance. Supt Paul Walker said: "We appreciate the concern of those in the area, and that members of the public may have been alarmed to see emergency services personnel in protective suites. We're happy to hear that the man has made a good recovery in hospital and we wish him well." The castor bean plant is an evergreen herbaceous shrub.

The seeds are safely used to make castor oil, but the husk is poisonous. A man who sparked a large scale police response after consuming an 'unknown substance' is said to have made "a good recovery" in hospital. Emergency services were scrambled to a "chemical" incident at a house in Northern Moor, Wythenshawe, just before 9am on Saturday. One resident reported hearing a desperate mother shout 'my son's dying in there'. Police later reported that a man, aged in his 20s, had consumed an 'unknown substance', thought to be castor seeds, which contain traces of the potentially deadly toxin ricin.

He was rushed to Wythenshawe Hospital for treatment, where he remained overnight for assessment. He is said to be making a good recovery and officers say there is no longer any further concern for his physical health. (Image: Manchester Evening News) Officers dressed in hazmat suits descended on the house, on Moor Lane, during initial investigations yesterday. Greater Manchester Police (GMP) took extra precautions as they were initially unsure if the incident posed any wider threat to the community. A cordon was put in place on Moor Lane and nearby Sale Road, which has since been lifted. Superintendent Paul Walker stressed that there is no wider threat to the public. He said: "We appreciate the concern of those in the area yesterday, and that members of the public may have been alarmed to see emergency services personnel in protective suites. "However, this was as an appropriate cautionary measure to the incident – during which there was no wider threat to the community. "I'd like to thank the public for their patience while investigations were brought to a conclusion, particularly those in the immediate vicinity. "I'd also like to thank our emergency services partners whose care and professionalism brought this incident to a safe conclusion. "We're happy to hear that the man has made a good recovery in hospital and we wish him well." Police were called by the ambulance service shortly before 9am to a report of concern for the welfare of a man at a property on Moor Lane. Follow reporter Beth Abbit on social media To follow Beth on Twitter, click here Or to like her Facebook page and keep up to with the latest news, click here Here's the link to the M.E.N's main Facebook page where we share our latest stories. Neighbour Jim Hutton told the M.E.N that he heard the man's mother emerging from the house shouting on two occasions. "The lad's mother came out of the house shouting 'where the f*** are they? My son's dying in there'," he said. "They were putting their bio suits on at that point, they didn't know exactly what was happening at first." (Image: MEN MEDIA) Another resident said he saw firefighters arrive at about 9.30am, quickly followed by about four or five other fire engines. He came out to see what was going on and was told to 'get inside'. Firefighters in hazmat suits then entered the house. He said paramedics weren't allowed inside the house until they were "suited up", he said. The resident said he saw the ill man being brought out on a stretcher in a hazmat suit accompanied by two family members, one of whom was very distressed. "It's absolutely crazy. I just hope everyone's ok," he said.