30 November 2019 20:31

Carl Frampton Boxing Tyler McCreary

Nottingham Forest were unable to build on a positive performance against QPR in midweek, as the Reds fell to a 1-0 defeat to Cardiff City on Saturday. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing scored the only goal of the game, which came after 14 minutes, and Sabri Lamouchi's side were unable to find the goal they needed to take something from the contest at the City Ground. The result means that Nottingham Forest are now sat fourth in the Championship table, and they'll be frustrated to lose ground on the promotion-chasing pack this weekend. It's safe to say that plenty of Nottingham Forest supporters weren't happy with their side's performance after this defeat to Cardiff. Let's hope the lads can sort it out#nffc — dylan jackson (@DylanJackson02) November 30, 2019 Great one lads, really showed what a promotion side you are — Alfie Abrey (@AbreyAlfie) November 30, 2019 Woeful — Jack (@JackSDlaz) November 30, 2019 Shocking — Thomas D (@stompy09) November 30, 2019 — Thomas Alen (@ThomasAlen) November 30, 2019 Off home for a sulk #nffc — Richard Whitbread (@Richwhitty63) November 30, 2019,#nffc — Faz (@10faz) November 30, 2019 It was a bad day at the office for Nottingham Forest as they failed to hit top gear in falling to a 1-0 defeat against Cardiff City.

A first-half strike from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing proved to be the difference between the two teams as Forest struggled to find their shooting boots on a frustrating and misty afternoon at The City Ground. The Reds started brightly and on the front foot with Sammy Ameobi skewing wide from just inside the area and Carvalho getting on the end of a clever pass from Joe Lolley before firing over the bar. Despite dominating the play, Forest found themselves behind on 14 minutes as Cardiff scored in their first attack of the game. Former Forest man Lee Tomlin was involved in the move as Nathaniel Mendez-Laing curled a low effort into the bottom corner of the net past the stretching Brice Samba. The goal seemed to stun Forest as Cardiff grew in confidence.

Samba had to be alert to keep out Marlon Pack's free kick before Tomlin also curled a set piece wide of the target but as the half wore on, Forest went back on the front foot in search of the equaliser. A cross to the back post found Gary Madine who squared the ball past the onrushing Samba and with the goal at his mercy, Junior Hoilett scuffed his effort allowing Joe Worrall to superbly clear off the line and away from danger. The Reds were banging on the door to level the game but they couldn't hit the target, with shots from Ben Watson, sub Alfa Semedo and Jack Robinson all leaving goalkeeper Neil Etheridge without any work to do. A late chance fell to sub Rafa Mir but, as they had done all afternoon, the Cardiff defence threw their bodies on the line to block his effort as the Welsh side took all three points. Forest: Samba, Cash, Figueiredo, Worrall, Robinson (Mir 80'), Watson (c), Silva, Carvalho (Semedo 66'), Lolley, Ameobi (Adomah 75'), Grabban Cardiff: Etheridge, Peltier, Nelson, Flint, Bennett, Pack (c), Bacuna, Mendez-Laing (Paterson 80'), Hoilett (Morrison 86'), Tomlin, Madine (Ward 67') Goal: Mendez-Laing (14') Nottingham Forest's miserable run against Cardiff continued as Neil Harris maintained his positive start to life as Bluebirds boss with a 1-0 win on familiar territory.

Cardiff have not lost to Forest in 10 meetings and they have won nine of those games after Nathaniel Mendez-Laing's precise finish earned them all three points at the City Ground. Harris, who endured a tough spell as a striker while playing for Forest, would have appreciated the quality of the game's only goal, as the Cardiff man found the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the box to help the newly appointed manager to another victory in his third game in charge. But Forest's lack of finishing power was also decisive as they registered 31 efforts on goal but only hit the target twice. Forest carved out the first meaningful opportunity as Joe Lolley and Lewis Grabban combined to find Sammy Ameobi in space in the box, but the winger lost his footing as he hit his shot, which bobbled harmlessly wide. Another well-crafted move ended with Matty Cash picking out Joao Carvalho in the box, but the 15million euros signing fired high over the bar with a panicked effort. The home side had been dominant in the opening exchanges, but it was Cardiff who took the lead in the 14th minute, with their first effort. After he was fed the ball by Lee Tomlin, Mendez-Laing was given the time and space to curl a precise, curling shot into the bottom corner, beyond the reach of Bryce Samba, to deny him what would have been a fourth consecutive clean sheet. Forest looked to respond as Ameobi drove a wild shot high and wide, but Samba had to save when Marlon Pack looked to catch him out with a shot from a free-kick, when it looked as though he was going to cross. Lolley fired wide and Ameobi wildly over as Forest continued to look for an opening, while the latter and Carvalho came a little closer with subsequent efforts, but still without hitting the target. Forest were having plenty of attempts, but Ameobi was denied by a simple save from Neil Etheridge and Cash was off target again. The second half saw Jack Robinson's curling free-kick kept out by Etheridge, but Worrall had to clear off the line to deny Cardiff a second goal as Junior Hoilett was picked out by Gary Madine only a few yards out. Ben Watson and substitute Alfa Semedo both cleared the bar as Forest continued to create – and waste – a series of half chances. Forest notched up their 20th effort on goal with 20 minutes still to play, but only one had been on target. Forest defender Robinson come agonisingly close with a curling shot, which missed the target by inches. Cash finally forced another save from Etheridge with a well-struck shot, but it was too little, too late for Forest.