loading...

22 October 2020 08:31

Essex Police have confirmed they will be reviewing the initial investigation into the attack of Simon Dobbin.

Essex Police have confirmed they will be reviewing the initial investigation into the attack of Simon Dobbin. The team have paid tribute to Simon after news of his passing came to light yesterday afternoon, alongside Southend United and his beloved football team Cambridge United. Simon's loving wife Nicole and fans across the country also paid tribute to the 48-year-old, who wasn't able to walk or talk after the attack in 2015. Nicole, who discovered Simon had passed away in his sleep yesterday morning, told the Echo she "hopes his attackers live with this guilt everyday for the rest of their lives." Mr Dobbin was attacked in East Street, Southend, on March 21, 2015, after watching his beloved Cambridge United take on the Blues at Roots Hall. Simon had been supporting his team against the Blues and was enjoying a drink with friends in the Blue Boar pub following the 0-0 draw.

Simon Dobbin: Essex Police to review investigation into attack

Read more: Simon Dobbin: wife Nicole speaks after husband's sudden death RIP Simon: Wife Nicole holds attackers responsible for beloved husbands death A total of 13 Southend United fans were eventually convicted of playing a part in the incident, which left him unable to walk or talk. Simon's attackers were all charged with violent disorder, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison, instead of a charge of causing grievous bodily harm or attempted murder. He spent a year in hospital following the attack. Essex Police have now confirmed that they will review the investigation and whether any further action should be taken. Detective Chief Inspector Stephen Jennings, said: "Our thoughts go to Simon's family and friends at this very difficult time. "We will review the initial investigation to establish whether we need to take any further action."