24 September 2020 16:38

Leeds Rhinos: Myler; T Briscoe, Newman, Sutcliffe, Handley; Lui, Gale; Seumanfagi, Leeming, Oledzki, Mellor, Martin, Prior.

Hull KR v Leeds Rhinos - Centre Harry Newman hospitalised by serious injury

Good afternoon and welcome to our live coverage of Hull KR's Super League clash with Leeds Rhinos at the Halliwell Jones Stadium. For the second time this year, KR made a slow start and were ruthlessly punished by Leeds, who cruised into the semi-finals thanks to a 48-18 win in St Helens. Fringe players such as Kyle Trout and Nick Rawsthorne will get a run-out and will need to make an impression if KR are to stay with the Rhinos. Leeds Rhinos' Harry Newman reacts after being injured during the Betfred Super League matchwith Hull KR at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington. Newman suffered a suspected fractured tibia and fibula nine minutes before half-time.

Leeds Rhinos' Harry Newman is stretchered off at the Halliwell Jones Stadium. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Leeds Rhinos star Harry Newman has been sent to hospital with a suspected double leg break during the club's game with Hull KR. Newman appeared in agony after his leg twisted awkwardly under the body of Robins' debutant, Will Tate in the 32nd minute of the match. The leg was secured before the England Academy star, who continued to look in pain and appeared to receive oxygen as he was stretchered off, gave a thumbs up to his team-mates as he left the field.

Back-rower Rhyse Martin went to console the 20-year-old, who clinched his team-mates hand as he continued to deal with the pain. Newman left the field with the Rhinos 18-0 ahead. Martin had opened the scoring for Leeds before further tries from Ash Handley and James Donaldson put them in control. The injury will come as huge concern to Leeds, with Newman emerging in the last eighteen months as a star of the future. Hull KR 16 Leeds Rhinos 41: Slick Leeds power on but Harry Newman suffers agony LEEDS RHINOS continued their impressive form with another efficient victory over Hull KR but it was overshadowed by a horrific injury to their talented young centre Harry Newman.

Leeds Rhinos' Rhyse Martin helps Harry Newman as his team-mate receives treatment for suspected double leg break. Today's Super League game was held up for more than 10 minutes as the 20-year-old received lengthy on-field treatment in the first half before being stretchered off and taken straight to hospital. Newman suffered a suspected double leg break, with medical staff fearing he had broken both his tibia and fibula. For those lucky enough to be here for this latest behind-closed doors encounter, the severity of the injury was instantly obvious; his shrieks of pain after attempting to make a tackle in the 31st minute pierced through from the other side of the ground. Leeds Rhinos' Richie Myler goes over for his try. Leeds, who were 18-0 ahead at the time, did not let the setback unsettle them as they clinically backed up Friday's 48-18 Challenge Cup win over the same opponents. With Luke Gale and Richie Myler in such cutting form with their distribution out wide, they were able to unpick their opponents regularly enough to never be worried and comfortably secure a fourth straight win. Most impressive was the 18-year-old Will Tate, who looked accomplished and dangerous on his senior debut at full-back. Nick Rawsthorne, the former Halifax and Toronto Wolfpack winger, produced a remarkable try-saving tackle on Kruise Leeming, Joe Keyes probed well from half-back and his former Bradford Bulls team-mate Elliot Minchella - ill for the Cup tie - once more proved why he is every inch a Super League player against the club that let him go. Still, the difference in class was clear and it is easy to see why Leeds - who host Catalans Dragons on Wednesday before a Cup semi-final with Wigan Warriors - are increasingly looking like a title-chasing side. Rhyse Martin crossed as early as the fifth minute before Myler's first injection of class saw Ash Handley get over for his ninth try of the season. Gale should have scored soon after but Myler - who broke through - made his one glaring error with a forward pass - but they soon added to their efforts. Rovers were unlucky in being penalised for a ball-steal when a Leeds player clearly lost possession trying to offload under heavy pressure and, from there, James Donaldon raced on to Robert Lui's inside pass to score with his first touch off the bench. After Newman's injury, Rovers forced a drop-out only to see Kyle Trout spill on the first tackle but, again, they were unfortunate as Gale's pass that set Liam Sutcliffe clear to feed Myler looked forward. Still, Smith's side scored just before the interval with a fine try, Minchell doing the initial damage, Tate chiming in well and then Jez Litten's crossfield kick being palmed down perfectly by Rawsthorne for Keinhorst to scramble over. Ryan Brierley converted but Handley got his second soon after the restart and then made the break that left to Gale sending Alex Mellor over for Leeds' sixth try. Gale and Myler linked as crisply as ever to fashion space for Luke Briscoe to score and, though Kenny-Dowall finished well for a consolation, Gale rounded things off with a drop goal. Hull KR: Tate; Rawsthorne, Keinhorst, Livett, Kenny-Dowall; Keyes, Brierley; Garbutt, Litten, Maher, Gee, Peteru, Mulhern. Leeds Rhinos: Myler; T Briscoe, Newman, Sutcliffe, Handley; Lui, Gale; Seumanfagi, Leeming, Oledzki, Mellor, Martin, Prior. Six days after the Leeds Rhinos demolished Hull KR in the quarter finals of the Challenge Cup, the two sides met again at the Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington for a highly unusual Thursday afternoon fixture. The Rhinos were looking to cement their fourth spot, and edge a little closer to the top three, in the new format league table. Hull KR coach Tony Smith made eleven changes to his side ahead of todays clash as they looked to turn things around, Rhinos coach Agar also made changes as he rested a few players ahead of a busy upcoming schedule of games. Terrific Hull KR defence from Nick Rawsthorne prevented an opening Rhinos try after three minutes. But it only held the Rhinos out for one set as Rhyse Martin found a big gap to go through the KR line and when he added his conversion the Rhinos were 6-0 ahead. The second try came on eleven minutes with Richie Myler making the space for Ash Handley to go down the wing and ground in the corner. Martin added the extra two from the touchline and already it was looking a little one-sided. James Donaldson, on as a substitute took a Rob Lui pass to ground with his first touch of the ball on fourteen minutes. Martin added the conversion from close in for 18-0. There was a blow for the Rhinos as Harry Newman was stretchered from the field on the half hour after what looked like a lower leg injury. Delightful inside passes from Luke Gale, and then Liam Sutcliffe to Myler, led to the Rhinos fourth try of the afternoon as the full back went down the middle to score by the uprights. Martin added the conversion to make it 24-0, the Rhinos cruising. The Robins scored their first try of the afternoon as a Litten kick was taken by Rawsthorne as he knocked it back into the hands of Jimmy Keinhorst who went in and improved the angle. Right on the hooter Ryan Brierley added the conversion for 6-24. It took just six minutes of the second half before a Myler and Handley interchange saw Handley in for his second as he pushed over the line after taking a pass off the ground. Martin added the conversion, the Rhinos 30-6 ahead. Great pressure on the Leeds line paid dividends for KR when a clever kick from Elliott Minchella was picked up by Brierley and dotted down for the second try of the game. Brierley added the conversion for 12-30. Handley broke the line on fifty-seven and after a set restart Gale found Alex Mellor in an ocean of space to walk in for the four-pointer. A Tom Briscoe ball steal was at the heart of the Rhinos seventh try, the ball eventually been worked to the wing thanks to a miss out pass by Myler into the hands of Luke Briscoe to score in the corner. Martin missed his first two-pointer of the game but the Rhinos were 40-12 up with sixteen minutes remaining. On seventy-two Shaun Kenny-Dowall took a no-look pass from Harvey Livett to score a magnificent try as he grounded the ball while crashing through the corner flag. A Luke Gale drop goal two minutes from time closed proceedings, the Rhinos winning 41-16. It was all too easy for the Rhinos as they took apart Hull KR for a second game running and took a crucial two points which maintains their drive for the top four and a play-off place in a few rounds time. Hull Kingston Rovers: Tate, Rawsthorne, Keinhorst (T), Livett, Kenny-Dowell (T), Keyes, Brierley (T, 2G), Garbutt, Litten, Maher, Gee, Peteru, Mulhern. Leeds Rhinos: Myler (T), Briscoe T, Newman, Sutcliffe L, Handley (2T), Lui, Gale (DG), Seumanufagai, Leeming, Oledzki, Mellor (T), Martin (T, 6G), Prior.