25 June 2020 12:32
Manchester City and Liverpool will face each other at the Etihad Stadium Manchester City's game against Liverpool on July 2 will be held at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester City Council has confirmed. The game had been on a list of five fixtures that the UK's football policing lead said at the end of last month was set to be played at a neutral venue, at the request of the local force. However, the decision has been made to allow the game, which is live on Sky Sports, to go ahead at the Etihad, following a meeting of Manchester City Council's safety advisory group on Thursday. Councillor Luthfur Rahman, executive member for skills, culture and leisure for Manchester City Council, said: "The Council's Safety Advisory Group (SAG) for the Etihad Stadium met this morning (Thursday June 25) to review the upcoming fixture between Manchester City FC and Liverpool FC. "Following the most recent round of Premier League fixtures which have all taken place behind closed doors the SAG has signalled it has no objections to the above fixture taking place at the Etihad Stadium as planned at 8.15pm, Thursday July 2.
As with all other Premier League matches this fixture will take place behind closed doors, with no fans present." The safety advisory group included representatives from the city council, Greater Manchester Police and the fire and rescue service as well as those from supporters' groups. The Etihad Stadium will host Manchester City's game against Liverpool The initial list of fixtures which were to be held at neutral venues also included the Merseyside derby, Manchester United's game against Sheffield United, Manchester City's home game against Newcastle on July 8 and Newcastle vs Liverpool on July 26. The City vs Liverpool game is the only one which had not subsequently been confirmed to be played at the original home venue. Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said earlier this week he hoped the game would place at The Etihad Stadium. "I would prefer [that] it is in Manchester," Klopp said.
MATTEO GUENDOUZI is being chased by Real Madrid and Barcelona with Arsenal ready to sell, according to reports. The French midfielder tested Mikel Arteta's patience by bragging about his wages after a clash with Brighton's Neil Maupay. 1 Matteo Guendouzi clashed with Brighton's Neil Maupay in a 2-1 defeat Credit: Reuters Seagulls ace Maupay injured Bernd Leno during the fiery contest and Guendouzi, 21, was lucky to dodge a ban after grabbing his rival by the throat. And French outlet Le 10 Sport claim frustrated Arteta is happy to let Guendouzi leave the club this summer. Arsenal feared Leno would be out for a year after injuring knee ligaments in the collision with maupay.
But the Gunners were handed a a huge boost with the news that their German stopper will only miss FOUR WEEKS of action. Ahead of tomorrow's clash with Southampton, Arsenal revealed: "Positive news after detailed assessments. "[Leno] sustained moderate ligament sprain during Brighton & Hove [game] on Saturday. "[He is] aiming to return to full training in four to six weeks." Leno even tweeted his own update, writing: "Thank you for your support and getting well wishes. "I'm going to work hard to come back on the pitch as soon as possible." Barcelona and Real Madrid are interested in signing Matteo Guendouzi despite his poor performances for Arsenal, according to reports in France. The French youngster escaped a Football Association charge despite putting his hands around Neal Maupay's throat at the end of Arsenal's defeat at Brighton, while there were reports that the midfielder 'spent the game taunting Brighton players about the financial disparity between the squads'. The Daily Mail claimed on Tuesday that "frustration is mounting" with Guendouzi and "[Mikel] Arteta's patience is being tested" with a number of incidents on the player's charge sheet. MAILBOX: What really separates Liverpool and Man City, and other mails… Per the source, "some of his team-mates are also understood to have taken a dim view of some of his antics" and Arteta is mulling over the player's future. Guendouzi was dropped by Arteta against Newcastle earlier in the season with the Arsenal boss explaining the move as "tactical" as he instead went with Dani Ceballos in midfield. According to The Telegraph, Guendouzi's absence was the result of a bust-up between himself and Arteta during Arsenal's warm-weather training camp in Dubai. Despite all that, it seems Guendouzi could be rewarded with Le10Sport claiming that the 21-year-old 'interests many clubs' with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Leicester City all thought to be interested. Leicester are 'particularly attentive' to Guendouzi, Real boss Zinedine Zidane 'loves him very much' while Barcelona are understood to be a fan of his 'technical qualities'. Real Madrid and Barcelona are ready to pounce for Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi. The French midfielder tested manager Mikel Arteta's patience by bragging about his wages after a clash with Brighton's Neil Maupay. He mocked Brighton's players over their earnings despite Maupay, who later scored the winner, earning £10,000 MORE than the £40,000-a-week Arsenal ace. Le 10 Sport claim frustrated Arteta is happy to let Guendouzi leave the club this summer. Their report adds that La Liga giants Real and Barca are both willing to offer the playmaker an escape route.