13 January 2020 16:51
At least 11 people are dead and 300 are in treatment in the Phillipines, apparently poisoned by coconut wine. Also known there as lambanog, its a popular drink in the country's provinces, especially during the holidays. Local authorities said Monday (December 23) many of those affected were at a Christmas party. Making and selling unregulated lambanog is common in the Philippines. A spokesman for the Philipppine General Hospital in Manila explains why that can be dangerous.
(SOUNDBITE) (Filipino/English) PHILIPPINE GENERAL HOSPITAL SPOKESPERSON, JONAS DEL ROSARIO, SAYING: "Lambanog is fermented from the sap of a coconut flower. If it is fermented, it produces methanol during the fermentation. Sometimes, the lambanog being sold has too much methanol content." Methanol is far more toxic than the alcohol typically found in wine, beer or spirits... Local media say last year 21 people died after drinking coconut wine.