04 October 2020 08:36
Live Updated Oct. 4, 2020, 3:52 a.m. ET Oct. 4, 2020, 3:52 a.m. ET Covid-19 Live Updates: Countering Top Aide's Comments, Trump Says He Feels Better President Trump released a video saying that he was "starting to feel good," but conflicting statements by his doctors and aides created confusion about his condition. Video President Trump released a video update on his health from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. On Saturday, President Trump released a four-minute video from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., where he is receiving inpatient care for the coronavirus, to say that he is "starting to feel good." Wearing a blue jacket, cuff links and an American flag pin but no necktie, the president looked much paler than he did during his debate in Cleveland on Tuesday with former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. Thanking the staff at Walter Reed, Trump said that he "wasn't feeling so well" when he arrived at the hospital on Friday, but that he felt "much better now." He congratulated himself for his job performance and said, "I think I'll be back soon." The video, released Saturday evening, contrasted with what Mark Meadows, the president's chief of staff, had told reporters earlier in the day outside the hospital. "And the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care." For a president who often serves as his own spokesman, the video's release may have been a way to reclaim the narrative from doctors who have offered conflicting reports of the president's health, and from statements made by his own White House staff.
With only a month remaining until the Nov. 3 election, there is precious little time to recast the president's current health problems in a positive light before the nation decides whether to give him a second term in office. Military doctors on Saturday morning offered a rosy picture of the president's medical condition at a televised news conference outside Walter Reed. "He is up and about and asking for documents to review." He called into Fox News on Saturday night, knowing the president was most likely watching, and praised his "unbelievable courage" and "unbelievable improvement." But he also confirmed that Mr. Trump's condition on Friday was worse than originally described. "You don't know over the next period of a few days, I guess that's the real test," Mr. Trump said. Conley, center, the White House physician, at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Saturday. Anna Moneymaker for The New York Times On President Trump's first full day of hospitalization with the coronavirus, conflicting statements by his doctors and aides raised doubts about his condition, including when his illness was diagnosed and whether he had been treated with oxygen at any point. In the latest update on Mr. Trump's health, the White House physician, Sean P. He said the president would remain under observation on Sunday at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md. In a televised briefing on Saturday morning, Dr. Conley had offered a relentlessly positive assessment of Mr. Trump's condition. But Dr. Conley and other doctors on the team refused to provide critical details and left an impression that the president was known to be sick a day earlier than previously reported, forcing them to backtrack later. At the morning briefing, Dr. Conley said the president was not currently receiving supplemental oxygen, but he repeatedly declined to say definitively whether Mr. Trump had ever been on oxygen. "None at this moment and yesterday with the team, while we were all here, he was not on oxygen," Dr. Conley said, seeming to suggest that there was a period on Friday at the White House when he was. Two people close to the White House said in separate interviews with The New York Times that the president had trouble breathing on Friday and that his oxygen level dropped, prompting his doctors to give him supplemental oxygen while at the White House and then to transfer him to Walter Reed. Dr. Conley also appeared to indicate that the president was first diagnosed with the virus on Wednesday rather than Thursday night, as Mr. Trump said when he disclosed the positive test on Twitter early Friday. Dr. Brian Garibaldi, another physician treating the president, also said that Mr. Trump had received an experimental antibody therapy "about 48 hours ago," which would have been midday Thursday. Just two hours later, the White House issued a statement it said was written by Dr. Conley, trying to clarify. After the early briefing on Saturday, Mark Meadows, the White House chief of staff, offered a far more sobering assessment of the president's condition. Speaking to reporters outside Walter Reed, he described the president's vital signs as "very concerning." "We're still not on a clear path to a full recovery," he said. Mr. Meadows, whose comments were said to anger the president, later called into Fox News and said Mr. Trump had shown "unbelievable improvement." Mr. Trump was said by three administration officials and people close to him to indeed be in better shape, which added to the frustration among some White House advisers that Dr. Conley and Mr. Meadows had created such confusion. Al Drago for The New York Times Chris Christie, the former governor of New Jersey who for several days this week helped the president prepare for the debate, said he had tested positive for the coronavirus. Mr. Christie announced his condition on Saturday, becoming the latest of several Trump associates to get a positive test result. In another tweet later on Saturday, Mr. Christie said he had checked himself in to the Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, N.J., on Saturday afternoon after consulting with his doctors. Mr. Christie's statement came one day after Bill Stepien, President Trump's campaign manager, tested positive for the virus. That group also included Hope Hicks, one of Mr. Trump's closest advisers, and Kellyanne Conway, the former senior White House aide, both of whom have since tested positive. Pool photo by Guglielmo Mangiapane As President Trump remains hospitalized with Covid-19, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will cut short a trip to Asia this week, canceling stops in South Korea and Mongolia but continuing with a visit to Japan. "Secretary Pompeo expects to be traveling to Asia again in October and will work to reschedule visits on that trip, that is now just a few weeks off," a State Department spokeswoman, Morgan Ortagus, said in a brief written statement Saturday. We won't put anybody at risk." Mr. Pompeo said that he had tested negative on Friday and had last met with Mr. Trump on Sept. Jim Huylebroek for The New York Times In Afghanistan, the numbers of women reported to have tested positive for the virus and to have died of Covid-19 are far below the numbers reported for men. But in Afghanistan, men account for 70 percent of cases and 74 percent of deaths — a discrepancy that experts say is most likely the result of women being shut out of the health care system and the public sphere. "Women have to be accompanied by somebody to go to the hospital," she said, "so those decisions are often made by the men in a household, whether it's the husband or the father or the son." And when women do get to health care facilities, they are expected to engage only with female doctors, she added. Tristan Spinski for The New York Times As campuses across the United States struggle to carry on amid Covid-19 illnesses and outbreaks, a determined minority are beating the pandemic — at least for the moment — by holding infections to a minimum and allowing students to continue living in dorms and attend in-person classes. In one case, the testing identified a student who had apparently caught the coronavirus on the way to campus and did not have a sufficient viral load to test positively upon entry, he said. But Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare said in an address to the nation that a student had tested positive after arriving in Honiara, the capital, on a repatriation flight from the Philippines. He said that the student was asymptomatic and that the Health Ministry was tracing his contacts. Israelis opposed to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his handling of the pandemic protested across the country on Saturday night, despite new restrictions on public assembly, Agence France-Presse reported. India on Sunday reported 75,829 new infections and 940 deaths, a day after it became the third country after the United States and Brazil to pass 100,000 deaths.