loading...

22 January 2020 12:41

Mick McCarthy Republic of Ireland national football team EFL Cup

Man United Launch £30m Bid For Birmingham's 16-Year-Old Midfielder Jude Bellingham

Manchester United have made a shock £30m bid for Birmingham City youngster Jude Bellingham, according to stunning reports. Sky Sports reports that the Red Devils are keen to bring the 16-year-old midfielder to Old Trafford ahead of the January transfer window closing. United have been linked with the teenager in recent months and were initially willing to pay £25m to land him from the Championship side. Bellingham, who has made 26 appearances this season, only earns £145 per week as part of his scholar's wages. But the box-to-box midfielder's wages could skyrocket once he signs his first professional contract when he turns 17 on 29th June.

Bellingham, who came through Birmingham's youth academy, has scored four times and assisted once in the current campaign. United aren't the only club heavily linked with the England U17 international as Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool have also shown interest. According to Sky Sports, Birmingham could be forced to let Bellingham leave due to the pressure to raise funds. The Championship club, who are 18th in the league, suffered a nine-point deduction last season for breaking profit and sustainability rules. Bellingham made history at the club when he became the youngest player (16 years and 38 days) to make his senior debut in their League Cup clash with Portsmouth last August.

Following his debut against Portsmouth, Birmingham boss Pep Clotet said that the United target had "matured a lot with the first team" last summer. ​ Manchester United have offered more than £30m for Birmingham City prodigy Jude Bellingham as they look to secure the services of one of the highest rated youngsters in the country. Despite only turning 16 in June, Bellingham has been part of Birmingham's first-team this season and became the club's youngest ever player when he started a Carabao Cup tie back in August, before he even received his GCSE results. Bellingham made his league debut later that month and hasn't missed a Championship fixture since, starting as many as 18 of his 25 appearances in the division to date. A source told 90min this week that, while Liverpool were the early favourites to sign Bellingham, the player and his family are open to offers and he could happily join any of the Premier League's 'Big Six' or Leicester.

Manchester United have been increasingly eyeing the youngster and Sky Sports now report that a bid 'in excess of £30m' has been presented to Birmingham. That is up from the £25m the Old Trafford club were initially willing to spend on him. Due to his age, Bellingham isn't even on a professional contract at Birmingham, and earns just £145 per week on scholarship terms he began in the summer when he turned 16. He will be eligible to sign a professional deal when he turns 17 in June. A report from The Athletic earlier this week did put potential doubt on Bellingham moving on from Birmingham just yet, as there would be a reluctance on his part to play in an Under-23 setup when he has been playing first-team football for most of this season.

Whether United or another suitor can arrange a deal that secures a deal for Bellingham but allows him to remain with Birmingham for the time being may tick the boxes. Given Birmingham's financial troubles in recent years, cashing in could be in their interest. Manchester United are thought to have made an offer in excess of £30million for Birmingham City prospect Jude Bellingham. The 16-year-old midfielder is the son of former Cheltenham Town forward Mark Bellingham. He has already established himself as a first-team regular at St Andrew's, making 25 appearances for the Championship club and scoring four goals.

His latest strike was the opener in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Cardiff City. After making a bid for £25m, The Sun now report the Red Devils have tabled an bigger offer in a bid to prise Bellingham away from Birmingham. Bellingham became Birmingham's youngest-ever player at 16 years and 38 days when he started City's Carabao Cup clash with Portsmouth at the start of the season. Discussing Bellingham's future after the Cardiff game, Birmingham boss Pep Clotet said: "I don't know (if he will leave). "At the end of the day I do have the feeling that Jude will stay he is very happy here he knows it's one of the right steps for his progression. "It's his club, his people he is living a dream that comes from the work that he and a lot of people in the academy put together to reach this level. Dad Mark played for Cheltenham during the 1996/97 Southern League Premier Division campaign, signed by Chris Robinson. Manchester United has lined up another exciting midfield transfer target amid its ongoing pursuit of Bruno Fernandes. As the wrangling over figures with Sporting CP continues, the Red Devils have reportedly submitted a sizeable offer to Birmingham City for teenage talent Jude Bellingham. TOP STORY – UNITED SUBMIT BELLINGHAM BID Birmingham youngster Bellingham's clear potential has convinced United to launch an offer worth more than £30million, reports the Sun and Sky Sports. The 16-year-old midfielder has burst onto the scene this season and the Old Trafford outfit is understood to be keen to test him in the Premier League. However, it could face stiff competition from Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool and other heavyweight clubs across the continent. The Mirror, meanwhile, claims United has made a "breakthrough" in negotiations for Portugal international Fernandes, having reached a "compromise" transfer fee in the region of £55m. - David Beckham's Inter Miami has contacted Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero to assess his interest in a switch to MLS, adds the Sun. - Barcelona, still searching for a new striker, has ruled out RB Leipzig's Timo Werner and Lille's Victor Osimhen, suggests Mundo Deportivo, with Valencia's Rodrigo Moreno a more likely target. - Serie A side Roma is set to discuss personal terms with Matteo Politano after agreeing a €25million fee with Inter, according to Sky Sport Italia. - Inter, meanwhile, is said to be in discussions with United youngster Tahith Chong, who is also on Chinese outfit Jiangsu Suning's radar as his contract runs close to expiring, says Sky Sport Italia. - Brescia midfielder Sandro Tonali is interesting Premier League champion City and Ligue 1 leader Paris Saint-Germain, reports SportMediaset. Inter Milan reportedly prepare to offer Manchester United attacker Tahith Chong a five-year contract. Inter Milan are reportedly preparing to offer Tahith Chong a five-year contract in the hope of signing the Manchester United attacker ahead of Barcelona and Juventus. The 20-year-old has made seven first-team appearances for the Red Devils during the 2019-20 campaign, including Premier League outings against Leicester City and Newcastle United. The Netherlands under-21 international will see his current deal at Old Trafford expire at the end of June, though, and he is yet to agree new terms with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side. As a result, Chong is currently free to hold talks with foreign clubs over a switch this summer, and the likes of Barcelona and Juventus have been strongly linked with a move. However, according to the Daily Mail, Inter have stolen a march on their rivals by holding fresh discussions and are now preparing to offer the attacker a five-year contract in the hope of tempting him to San Siro. Chong, who has made 11 first-team appearances for United in total, moved to Old Trafford from Dutch giants Feyenoord in 2016.