09 December 2020 06:38

Nottingham Forest F.C. Queens Park Rangers F.C. EFL Championship

Cardiff City goalkeeper Alex Smithies' flying save kept the score at 1-0 early in the second half Cardiff City captain Sean Morrison had a remarkable evening of lows and highs as his side came from behind to win away against Stoke City. Morrison scored an own goal to hand the hosts a first-half lead, turning a Tyrese Campbell cross into his own net from close range. Robert Glatzel then came off the bench to equalise for Cardiff before Morrison sealed his redemption by heading in the winning goal from a corner. While Stoke had their eyes on the automatic promotion places, Cardiff were looking to extend a run of three successive wins which had alleviated the pressure on manager Neil Harris. Cardiff City boss Neil Harris reflects on Sean Morrison's winning goal Then after 25 minutes, Campbell evaded Joe Bennett inside the box and played a low cross which appeared to glance Smithies' hand before deflecting in off a helpless Morrison.

Stoke offered little else in the final third for the rest of the first half but neither did Cardiff, whose efforts amounted to a long-range shot from Harry Wilson. It was a better game after the interval, Stoke captain James Chester close to doubling the home side's lead when his header crashed against the crossbar. The Potters were dealt a blow when Campbell was forced off injured, although his replacement Vokes played a fine pass to Nick Powell, who was brought down by the seemingly luckless Morrison to earn his side a penalty. Michael O'Neill was left counting the cost of an expensive night for Stoke City as they passed up the chance to go second in the Championship in defeat to Cardiff City. Stoke went down 2-1 to their promotion rivals, surrendering a one-goal lead, missing a penalty and having star man Tyrese Campbell go off injured too.

A potential scare for Stoke was averted early on when Cardiff worked it well and Joe Ralls, playing a fine through ball, teased Joe Bursik out of the penalty area and almost got him in trouble. Stoke, now dealing with an injury nightmare, were almost forced into a change after eight minutes when Cardiff centre-back Curtis Nelson got a bit carried away and advanced into Stoke's half and, upon losing control of ther ball, lunged into Nathan Collins. Stoke forced the first real opening of the evening ten minutes in when Campbell pounced on an error from Cardiff left-back Joe Bennett and twisted the Bluebirds' defence inside out before wrapping a fine effort just wide of Alex Smithies' right-hand post. An action-packed opening 15 minutes was capped by a half-hearted penalty shout by Campbell, who was the recipient of a cross from Brown after Stoke launched a counter. Cardiff's captain, Morrison, used his experience to get across to Campbell and put him off just enough so he couldn't get a cross away.

Cardiff's first attempt on goal came from Liverpool loanee Harry Wilson, who latched onto a loose ball after James Chester misjudged a header. Stoke took the lead 25 minutes in, with Campbell - who had been excellent all evening - taking his marker to the byline with a determined run down the right-hand side before fizzing a cross along the goal-line. Campbell, who was at the heart of everything good from a Stoke perspective in the first half, fluffed a chance in injury time to double Stoke's lead when he snatched at a loose ball. McClean hassled and harried Leandro Bacuna, whose good defensive work forced a corner but James Chester nearly doubled Stoke's advantage from it with a header that bristled the crossbar and went over. A fast and furious restart saw Stoke dealt another injury blow, miss a penalty and concede an equaliser all in just over 20 minutes. Stoke were handed the perfect chance to put the Campbell injury to the backs of their minds when Morrison fouled Nick Powell in the penalty area shortly after. Alex Smithies saved a tame effort from Campbell's replacement, Vokes, who went for the bottom left-hand corner but didn't place his penalty low enough. Cardiff were not done and Stoke, reeling from the hammer blows of the injury to Campbell, missed penalty and Glatzel goal, switched off at a corner from which Morrison earned himself redemption ten minutes later to equalise. Stoke City v Cardiff City live stream, Sky Sports, Tuesday 8 December, 7.45pm GMT Stoke and Cardiff both head into Tuesday's game in confident mood following victories at the weekend. Neil Harris will not be getting carried away, but the Welsh side could move to within a point of the play-offs with another win in midweek – something you can get 19/10 odds for on Bet365. SEE THE FULL SCHEDULE Premier League live streams: How to watch every game on this weekend GET SKY SPORTS ON NOW TV (Image credit: PA) GUIDE How to watch BT Sport, Sky Sports and BBC games on a Now TV Stick Use a VPN to watch a Stoke City v Cardiff City live stream from outside your country The Premier League Pass will give you a few matches live to stream on-demand - all matches are free to watch the day after broadcast, though you'll need a TV sports package with a local provider to watch all games live - plus shows highlights, analysis and on-demand replays for $64.99. Optus Sport are offering every game of the Premier League season for just $14.99/month for non-subscribers, which you can get via your Fetch TV box and all of the other friendly streaming devices.