22 March 2020 08:32
DUBAI: The government of Kuwait imposed a partial curfew on March 22 starting 14:00 and running until 01:00 (GMT) time due to non-compliance with instructions to stay home, state news agency KUNA reported. The Civil Defense Committee will issue IDs for people working in vital sectors to allow them to move around during the curfew, Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Anas Al-Saleh said. Those who break the curfew rules will be jailed for up to three years and fined $32,267, he added. The military is on standby to help security forces enforce the new regulation as the National Guard will be aiding the Ministry of Interior, Al-Saleh said. Meanwhile, the holiday for government and private sectors which was supposed to end on March 26 will be extended for another two weeks, he added.
The total number of cases in Kuwait is 176, with no reported deaths and 27 recoveries. A family wear protective face masks, as they arrive at a makehsift coronavirus testing center at the Mishref Fair Grounds in Kuwait city, Kuwait March 12, 2020. (Reuters) Asharq Al-Awsat Kuwait will impose a nationwide curfew starting on Sunday from 5 pm until 4 am to fight the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, state news agency KUNA said, citing the cabinet. Kuwait, which went into virtual lockdown on Thursday, has taken some of the most drastic steps in the region to curb the virus' spread. The Gulf country, which has reported 176 cases of the virus, said violators of the curfew could face up to three years in jail or fines of up to 10,000 dinars ($32,157).
It also established a temporary fund for receiving financial contributions from institutions, companies, and individuals to support the government's efforts to fight the virus. Filed on March 22, 2020 | Last updated on March 22, 2020 at 07.40 am The curfew would start on Sunday. The government of Kuwait was compelled to impose a partial curfew due to non-compliance with Ministry of health's instructions to stay indoors with the aim of curbing spread of coronavirus, a senior official said on Saturday, March 21. Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Anas Al-Saleh told a news conference after a cabinet meeting an 11-hour curfew would start as of Sunday at 5:00 pm until 4:00 am the following day. "Regrettably non-compliance with the Ministry of Health's instructions to stay indoors forced the government to impose the curfew," said Al-Saleh, also Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs.
The Kuwait National Guard will aid police in imposing the curfew. The decision was made due to "some manifestations of non-compliance with precautionary measures," Deputy Prime Minister Anas al-Saleh said, according to KUNA. Kuwait's cabinet also decided to extend a suspension of government and private agencies for two weeks. It had already announced on Thursday an extension to a suspension of schools and universities until August 4 - the first among its neighbours to impose such lengthy education closures to limit the spread of the sometimes deadly disease. After a late-night cabinet meeting on Saturday, the minister of trade and industry said the country's strategic food reserves were "secure and plentiful", KUNA said. He urged people not to stockpile food and said there was no need to panic. Anyone caught breaking the curfew in Kuwait will be jailed for up to three years and fined $32,000 Kuwait is to introduce an 11-hour curfew from Sunday, which will be enforced by the National Guard, in further moves to contain the spread of coronavirus. Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Anas Al-Saleh announced the curfew, from 5pm to 4am, on Saturday after residents failed to adhere to instructions to stay indoors. He warned that anyone caught breaking the curfew will be jailed for up to three years and fined KD10,000 ($32,000). On Saturday, India introduced a 14-hour curfew, while curfews have been imposed in a number of European cities. There are currently 176 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Kuwait. Meanwhile, the Kuwaiti cabinet has extended the suspension of work in all ministries and state agencies by two more weeks. Government spokesman Tareq Al-Mezrem said that all civil servants, who have been on mandatory holiday from March 12 to 26, will resume work on April 12. Al-Mezrem also revealed that the cabinet has closed all shops and central markets, except for food stores.