loading...

27 July 2020 04:33

Ubisoft Assassin's Creed EA Access

Silent Hills Creator Hideo Kojima In Talks With Junji Ito for a New Horror Game

Hideo Kojima not being able to finish what he started with PT and make that full Silent Hills is one of the biggest heartbreaks of our industry in recent years, and calls for him to make a horror game have been frequent in the years since then. Recently, during an interview at Comic-Con 2020 (which you can view below), famed Japanese horror mangaka Junji Ito suggested that he's been in talks with Hideo Kojima to work on a new horror game. When asked if he's currently working on a video game project, Ito said that he isn't, but has had some discussions with Kojima about a horror project- but there are no details on it yet. Said Ito through a translator: "I do know director Kojima and we have been in conversation that he may have a horror-based game that he may be doing, and so he has invited me to work on that, but there are no details on it yet." I'm sure most would agree that Ito and Kojima would be a deadly combination, especially when working on a dedicated horror game. Hideo Kojima has been teasing early work on an upcoming project in recent days, so perhaps the wheels are already in motion- here's hoping, anyway.

Rumours of Hideo Kojima working on a horror game have popped up before, along with rumours of Konami teaming with Japanese manga artist Suehiro Maruo for a potential Silent Hills revival. According to a Comic-Con 2020 interview, Junji Ito (yes, that Junji Ito), stated that he had been in contact with Kojima about a possible horror game. Ito stated that, "I do know director Kojima and we have been in conversation that he may have a horror-based game that he may be doing, and so he has invited me to work on that, but there are no details on it yet." He said that Kojima may be working on a horror-based game that he may be doing. However, if you think back to this little tweet that Guillermo del Toro sent out back in 2015 when he and Kojima were working on Silent Hills together, there might be something more to all of this. JUNJI ITO, undisputed master of horror in Japan (along with Hino and Tsubaki) and our collaborator in SILENT HILL (S) pic.twitter.com/D9ypKBhVk5 — Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) September 27, 2015 The chat has since prompted fans to beg Ito for another Hideo Kojima collaboration as the manga creator said such a project could happen.

The publisher taped an interview with Ito where the creator was asked if Kojima of Metal Gear Solid fame has asked for his help on a horror game. As it turns out, Kojima has invited him to work on a yet-known horror game, but that is about all Ito has to offer up on the subject. However, I do know Director Kojima, and we have been in conversation that he might have a horror-based game that he might be doing. So he has invited me to work on that, but there's no details on it yet," Ito explained. Back in the day, Ito proved his knack for video games given his work on P.T., a wildly popular horror game demo overseen by Kojima and director Guillermo del Toro.

Sadly, the project was scrapped, but Ito's friendship with Kojima lives on. Renowned video game director Hideo Kojima is in talks with superstar mangaka Junji Ito for a potential collaboration. In an interview with VIZ at the 2020 San Diego Comic Con, the renowned horror manga creator confirmed that Kojima has gotten in touch for a future project. "I do know director Kojima and we have been in conversation that he may have a horror-based game that he may be doing," Ito said through a translator. "He has invited me to work on that, but there are no details on it yet." While Ito seems to be using deliberately vague remarks, he offers enough encouraging hints to expect a horror game from Kojima Productions in the future.

Ito, best known for top-selling horror manga series such as Tomie, Uzumaki, and Gyo, is no stranger to Kojima's video game creations. If it pushes through, Kojima's collaboration with Ito will follow in the wake of 2014's P.T., a critically acclaimed demo for Silent Hills. Supposedly an addition to the Silent Hill horror video game franchise, Silent Hills was eventually canceled, and Kojima's horror projects have been indefinitely on the shelf since. Despite the cancellation, P.T. remains a celebrated title in the horror video game genre to this day. The immersive, anxiety-inducing teaser was created by Kojima in partnership with both Ito and film director Guillermo del Toro — another master of otherworldly frights and delights, as seen in the original Hellboy film franchise, Pan's Labyrinth, Pacific Rim, and The Shape of Water.

Like Ito, Kojima paid homage to Del Toro by having his likeness also appear as an easter egg in Death Stranding. Uzumaki author Junji Ito has revealed that he has been invited to work on a horror game by games director and developer Hideo Kojima. During an interview with [email protected] (34:04), Ito was asked about his cameo in Death Stranding, and if he was "involved in some video game development at the moment?" However, I do know director Kojima, and we have been in conversation that he might have a horror-based game that he might be doing, and so he has invited me to work on that. The unsettling horror game utilized many cryptic clues to unlock the game's true ending, revealing it was Silent Hills. The project would have been designed and directed by Kojima, in collaboration with Guillermo del Toro, and with the involvement of Norman Reedus. Del Toro also stated that Ito was involved with the project. Their first title, Death Stranding, featured Normal Reedus and Guillermo del Toro using facial and motion-capture. Sources claimed to Rely on Horror in mid-March that two Silent Hill games were in development. The second was a revival of Kojima's Silent Hills. Much like Ito's comments now, it is unlikely we will get any information about any project that has yet to be revealed or under a non-disclosure agreement. Could a revival of Silent Hills be in the works, or another project akin to that?