30 October 2019 08:31

Whitsunday Islands Australia Great Barrier Reef

Australia shark attack: British tourist's foot bitten off near Airlie Beach

A British tourist whose leg was bitten by a shark while snorkelling in Australia has been pictured smiling while being loaded into a rescue helicopter. Danny Maggs, 22, from Plymouth, and Alistair Raddon, 28, were attacked by a shark while swimming at a popular snorkelling spot in the Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, during a day trip on a tourist boat. The helicopter service said the men had been "wrestling and thrashing about in the water" before the attack occurred. Dart said he heard about the shark attack on the way to work and wondered if it was Maggs, but quickly dismissed the thought. Dart said Maggs had worked with him for two years to qualify as a plumbing and heating engineer.

He told me his friend was trying to stay positive as well although he lost his foot." He added both men were extremely lucky that two trained paramedics who happened to be on board the cruise boat as guests. A Queensland ambulance service (QAS) confirmed the call for help came in at 10.22am local time, and that the men were initially treated on board the cruise boat by two paramedics. QAS manager Tracey Eastwick said: "It was fortunate that we understand there was two German paramedics on board the vessel at the time who were able to render first aid and certainly any first aid in those sort of circumstances with those injuries would be extremely important." Eastwick added the patients were transported in a stable but still serious condition. The attack comes amid a debate about shark control in Queensland after a court ruling that forced the state to remove its lethal drum lines from the Great Barrier Reef marine park. Last summer, a man was killed and several people injured in shark attacks in the Whitsundays.

(CNN) Two British tourists were injured in a shark attack in northeastern Australia on Tuesday morning, with one losing his foot. The two men, aged 22 and 28, were on a snorkeling tour boat near Airlie Beach in the state of Queensland, according to CNN affiliate 7 News. The boat took the passengers to Hook Passage, a popular snorkeling spot just off the coast by the Whitsunday Islands, according to a statement from regional tourism organization Tourism Whitsundays. The 22-year-old was attacked first, suffering lacerations on his lower leg, 7 News reported. The tourists had been "wrestling and thrashing about in the water in Hook Passage when the attack occurred," according to the Royal Automobile Club of Queensland, which coordinated the helicopter rescue.

A close friend of shark attack survivor Danny Maggs said he got "goosebumps" when he heard what had happened - and described the ordeal as "scary". The 22-year-old engineer from Plymouth was pulled from the water after a terrifying shark attack left him with "deep lacerations" to his leg. Danny's friend and former boss Jamie Dart said he "seems in good spirits" but was "very lucky". Jamie, who owns JD Plumbing and Heating ltd, said Danny worked for him for two years during which he qualified as an engineer before going travelling for a year. Danny's family and loved-ones in Plymstock in Plymouth have said they are not yet ready to talk about the attack on the young man.

Alistair Raddon, 28, from Southampton, lost his foot in the attack which happened when the two men had been swimming at the popular tourist spot on the Whitsunday Islands chain at around 10am local time, Eastern Australia. Both men were taken on a tour boat to Airlie Beach, about 680 miles north of Brisbane, before being airlifted by helicopter around 70 miles to a hospital in the city of Mackay, according to authorities. Queensland Ambulance Service confirmed Alistair lost his right foot while Danny received four deep lacerations to his right calf. RACQ CQ Rescue, who airlifted the pair to hospital, said that the two men had told crewmen they were "wrestling and thrashing" about in the water when the attack happened. Tracey Eastwick, manager of operations for Queensland Ambulance Service, said that two German backpackers were on board the ZigZag tour boat and had administered "extremely important" first aid.

"We are saddened to confirm that two of our guests were injured in a shark attack this morning," a spokesperson said. A statement from Tourism Whitsundays said: "Our first thoughts are with the two people involved in the incident and their welfare; as well as the other passengers and crew on the boat. There have been numerous shark attacks in the Whitsunday island group in recent years, including a fatal incident at Cid Harbour involving a 33-year-old man last November. Tourist Daniel Christidis died in hospital after being attacked while paddleboarding and swimming in the Whitsunday Islands in Queensland. Alistair Raddon, 28, had his right foot ripped off and Danny Maggs, 22, was also viciously attacked as they snorkelled off Queensland's popular Whitsunday coast earlier this morning. 12 Alistair Raddon had his right foot bitten off by a shark off Airlie Beach in Queensland, Australia Credit: news.com.au 12 Danny Maggs sustained serious leg injuries Credit: news.com.au The shark is believed to have attacked Mr Raddon first, while the pair were swimming off Airlie beach, before returning to bite Mr Maggs' leg. The Brit victims told the helicopter crew "they were wrestling and thrashing about in the water" in a passage between Hayman and Whitsunday Islands - which lie between Queensland's northeast coast and the Great Barrier Reef - while they were mauled at about 10.20am (12.20am GMT). Steve Thurtell, from the Queensland Ambulance Service, said: "I understand they were in good spirits; they made a comment about the World Cup but clearly the impact [of the shark attack] has not been lost on them." Danny's concerned pal and former boss Jamie Dart, owner of JD Plumbing and Heating ltd, said he was relieved to receive a message saying, "I am okay mate - but it was scary." There were 20 people on board the tour boat at the time, but it's not clear how many tourists were swimming at the time of the attack. 12 Maggs, pictured, was snorkelling in Hook Passage with Raddon when the attack took place Credit: Facebook 12 The beast is believed to have bitten Raddon first before returning to bite Maggs' leg Credit: Facebook 12 One backpacker had his foot bitten off while another sustained leg injuries in the horrific attack Credit: 7news 12 Two Brits were rushed to hospital after being mauled by a shark in Queensland Credit: 9news 12 There were 20 people on board the tour boat at the time of the attack off Airlie Beach in Queensland's Whitsundays Credit: Moment - Getty 12 The rescue helicopter that rushed two Brit tourists to hospital after a terrifying shark attack on Tuesday Credit: RACQ / Twitter It comes amid debate in Queensland about the recent removal of protective drum lines from the Great Barrier Reef marine park. There have been at least four shark attacks in the Whitsundays since September last year - including upon a 12-year-old girl, Hannah Papps, who later had her leg amputated. The court banned shark culling on the Great Barrier Reef after the government lost its appeal for the right to use drum lines to catch and kill sharks to protect swimmers. This happened after the Humane Society challenged the State Government programme in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park area. However, the area that Alistair Raddon and Danny Maggs were mauled, at Airlie Beach, has never been covered by the SCP. An archipelago of 74 tropical islands, the Whitsundays lie just off the Queensland coast, next to the Great Barrier Reef A British tourist lost a foot and a friend was seriously injured in a shark attack off north-east Australia. The pair, aged 22 and 28, were attacked today while swimming at a popular snorkelling spot the Whitsunday Islands, Queensland, during a day trip on a tourist boat. The other tourist, named as Danny Maggs from Plymouth, was left with serious lacerations to his calf. They told rescuers they had been "wrestling and thrashing about in the water" when the shark attacked one of the men, before biting the other. Chien Wang, a tourist on board the boat, said one of the men was screaming for help. She said someone went out on a paddle board to rescue the men. The 22-year-old, a student from Taiwan, said there were still about 10 people in the water when the shark struck in Hook Passage between Whitsunday Island and Hook Island, about 10km from where an Australian was killed by a shark last November.